Monday, December 9, 2013

Litecoin mining

I've been playing with Litecoin mining the last few days. Basic information about Litecoin can be found at https://litecoin.org/. I tried two different mining pools. Coinotron.com and Coinhuntr.com.

Coinotron I setup as a pay per share. They take a 3.5% cut and pay out minimum is 0.3 LTC. I mined with them and achieved just about 0.1 LTC per day with my HD7790 hashing between 220 and 250 kh/s. I also aimed a couple of slower Nvidia cards at the pool but their contribution was negligible.

I then gave my hand at Coinhuntr for a few days. It was giving me a little over 0.1 LTC but this may be attributed to some tweaks I made to my HD7790. Coinhuntr is a proportional reward system. Coinhuntr takes 1% fee and 1% donation so that would be cheaper in the long run.

Both sites seem to work equally well for my needs and I couldn't really recommend one over the other. One thing to remember about LTC is the required transaction fee built into the coin. As of this posting the fee has been dropped but it is best to cash out from the pool in larger chunks to avoid transfer fees later.

I'll put together a tutorial on LTC mining and post it soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment